The Ongea and AWIEF team
Ongea means “to chat” in Swahili – the most widely spoken language on the African continent. Ongea is an online community for women entrepreneurs in Africa, founded by the Africa Women Innovation and Entrepreneurship Forum (AWIEF).
AWIEF is the premier Pan-African organisation bringing leading women entrepreneurs together and fostering sustainable women entrepreneurship in Africa through its initiatives and programmes.
The primary objective of the Ongea digital community is to grow entrepreneurship on the continent, while driving membership and brand awareness for AWIEF in Africa and globally. Ongea will provide women entrepreneurs across the African continent with a platform to inform, inspire and connect them with each other and the many resources available to entrepreneurs in Africa.
Through Ongea, AWIEF will amplify its efforts on the continent to drive entrepreneurship in Africa, particularly for women. It will do this through:
- Creating an online community of women entrepreneurs in order to connect them with other inspirational women entrepreneurs; business and funders.
- Providing daily news through Ongea on entrepreneurship and innovation on the continent.
- Educating and informing women entrepreneurs through Ongea and the expansion of its AWIEF programmes.
- Bringing a face to entrepreneurship by profiling successful women entrepreneurs; as well as young entrepreneurs starting out.
- Case studies of entrepreneurial businesses in Africa.
- Listing events for entrepreneurs, including AWIEF events.
- Profiling AWIEF programmes.
- Listing the various competitions and awards open to entrepreneurs in Africa and globally to pitch their startups or apply for funding.
- Partner with relevant stakeholders to grow the entrepreneurial ecosystem in Africa.